Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I Got Into Music So That Jimmy Page Would Call Me And Ask Me To Sing For Him

Okay, well....that's only partially true. But it is true. I've been waiting for that phone call since I was 10 years old. Still waiting. Still dreaming.

To say that I've spent my life and continue to spend my life devoted to music however, is an absolute truth. I've been singing for about as long as I've been speaking, and that's a long time. Once I got on the path at about 6 or 7, it was full steam ahead. Since then, I've been very fortunate to make some of my greatest dreams come true. Ironically, I feel like I'm just getting started!

There isn't a time of day where I'm not working on a piece of music, singing, playing keys, writing music, doing arrangements, listening to music or thinking about music. Even when I'm doing other tasks, but there is always a song in my head, or on my mind. Before I found the other love of my life, my husband Dave, when there moments of great darkness in my life, music was my light. It was my best friend, and still is. It's like air or food to me. Music is everything.

As a vocalist now singing for so many other amazing artists and heading my own projects as well, I wouldn't be where I am today, if not for dreaming, and for a lot of hard work, but most importantly, due to influences who even today, continue to inspire me. Chaka Khan, Sarah Vaughan, The Beatles, Miles Davis, Elton John, David Bowie, Donna Summer and Giorgio Moroder in kind, Parliament Funkadelic, Marc Bolan of T Rex, John Coltrane, Stevie Wonder and Jimi Hendrix, just to name a few. You'll hear me refer to my heroes time and time again here, while also talking about artists that have recently begun to really ring my bell, like M.I.A and Dam Funk.

I am also a creature of strange contradictions, it would seem. I love getting up on stage and rocking out for huge crowds, but I prefer the company of few. I love fashion and style, but I am pathetically lazy where it's concerned. I am fascinated by what's coming, yet ultimately I gravitate to what's been. Onstage, I'm loud brash, and flashy, but offstage, I just want to bake everyone cookies.

What's most important however, is that I am a woman of deep passions. I love bulldogs. I love sequins. I love cooking. I love my intensely wacky crew of uber-talented friends, some of whom you'll meet here! I love vintage cinema, in particular the films of Marlene Dietrich as directed by Josef Von Sternberg. My favorite movie of all time, is Taxi Driver. My favorite decade, is the 1970's. It's a grave and utter disappointment to me, that I didn't get to experience that decade, it's highs and lows firsthand, it's deepest low that I was nowhere near of age to be able to pursue Jimmy Page with utter ferocity when he was truly in his moment. I love fearlessness in life and in art.

And of course, above all things I love LED ZEPPELIN.

So, in the immortal words of WAR, another band I'm quite fond of "take a little trip, take a little trip, take a little trip with me..." Mr. Page, if you're reading this, could you please call me? I think I have exactly what you need for that new solo album you're doing. Should anyone reading this know how I can get a hold of him, or he of me, please holler LOUDLY. If you know Jimmy Page, TELL HIM TO CONTACT ME.

To all of you, dear readers, I say welcome aboard!

No comments:

Post a Comment